Love Affair #3


Love Affair #3

I'm pretty touchy feely when it comes to objects (although not people!) and how I love wool, fabric, ribbons, threads of all kinds – it’s so great to work with your hands and experience the materials physically as well as visually.
As well as more classic sewing and crotchet projects, I also like to experiment with fabric and fibres to create depth and texture. I never throw anything away (well hardly ever) so I have a massive stash of odds and ends to draw my inspiration from.
In this section you can discover my latest 'coup de coeur' from the world of all things textile.

mercredi 18 novembre 2015

Wpw- 18 November 2015

Hello :)
Mostly when I make patterns the inspiration will come from a photo and sketch which then inform a piece of artwork which I scan and then work digitally until I end up with what I consider to be a pattern and often this becomes a design for one of my fabrics. 

Bonjour :) 

Pour la plupart, quand je crée mes motifs, ça commence avec une photo et un croquis qui je transformeront avec mes peints et encres puis numérotiser avant de le travailler sur l'ordinateur. Ainsi sortiront un motif et ce motif est souvent l'origine d'un de mes tissus. 

This week's design is a little different for me.  Right from the outset I set out to design a pattern, and, apart from an initial sketch, all of the work was done on my computer. But don't worry there are still some photos as you will see... 


Le motif de cette semaine n'a pas de tout suivi le même processus, ayant commencé tout de suite en tant de motif et tous sur l'ordinateur.  Mais ne vous inquiètez pas, il y aura quand même quelques photos... 



You may remember my curtain fabric (which incidentally is how I got started with all of this) which came into being for our lounge redecoration in 2014.  Well this summer it was the turn of our bedroom and we needed some new blinds! 

Je ne sais pas si vous en souvenez du tissu que j'ai créée pour les rideaux de notre salon en été 2014 ( un projet qui a tout lancé pour Polly ) Alors, cet été le projet était notre chambre ou je voulAit renouveler les stores à bâteau. 

As with the lounge, the colours were taken from the rug, but the pattern was inspired by Tube map ( the London Underground network). I won't bore you with the symbolism, but in my opinion the original (by Harry Beck and the first version of which dates back to 1931)   is a piece of art even before it was adapted by Simon Patterson as a piece called 'the great bear' which was shortlisted for the 1996 Turner prize.

Comme pour le salon, mon point de départ était les couleurs de notre tapis, mais le motif a été inspiré par le plan du 'Tube' - le metro Londonien.   Je n'ai pas le temps de vous tous expliquer, mais à savoir que j'adore le plan d'origine ( créé en 1931 par Harry Beck) et je l'estimais en tant d'oeuvre d'art, même avant que l'artiste Simon Patterson a créé sa version, nommé ' the great bear' (le grand ours) qui est devenu celebre en 1996 avec son inclusion dans le prix 'Turner' en angleterre. 

So, the colours became various lines with 'stations' at various points where the lines intersect. This gave the first, simple pattern.  I then repeated this to form an overall design. 

Alors, les couleurs sont devenus les lignes avec des 'gares' chaque fois que les lignes se croisent.  Cette arrangment m'a donné le premier motif, que j'ai ensuite repeté. 

I'm always excited (and a little nervous) when i recieve my print samples as not everything appears as you would expect when it is transferred to fabric.  But every now and again you find a design which translates brilliantly - and this was the case for 'underground' 

J'attends le livraison de mes tissus avec impatience ( et un peu d'angoisse aussi!). Quand un motif deviens un tissu ce n'est pas toujours tous ce qu'on espère.  Mais de temps en temps il y a un qui s'y mets à merveil - et c'était le cas avec 'underground'. 


Today I finally finished both blinds so I think a small celebration is in order!  As with most of my large scale projects, it has taken some time (although this wasn't helped by technical issues with our 1850's house which has 'solid' rubble walls - which aren't always very solid) but it is worth it. 

Aujourd'hui c'est la fête chez moi, car j'ai fini mes deux stores.  Avec tous mes projets de longue haleine, ça pris plus de temps que prévu ( dans une grande partie à cause de notre maison ancienne qui date de 1850 et qui a les murs à la fois durs et poreux!) mais ça vallait le coup. 

I'm so pleased with the result - I love the pattern and it pulls all the elements of the decorating scheme together without actually 'matching'.  


Je suis tellement contente avec le resultat - j'adore le motif et les stores reunissent tous les éléments du décor, sans être trop encombrant. 

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire