Love Affair #3


Love Affair #3

I'm pretty touchy feely when it comes to objects (although not people!) and how I love wool, fabric, ribbons, threads of all kinds – it’s so great to work with your hands and experience the materials physically as well as visually.
As well as more classic sewing and crotchet projects, I also like to experiment with fabric and fibres to create depth and texture. I never throw anything away (well hardly ever) so I have a massive stash of odds and ends to draw my inspiration from.
In this section you can discover my latest 'coup de coeur' from the world of all things textile.

mercredi 20 mai 2015

Weekly Pattern Wednesday


Hello – welcome to Weekly Pattern Wednesday! This is a new feature for me which is being organised by the talented Lynn Krawczyk, designer, blogger and all round creative spirit over at Smudged Textiles Studio… I’ve recently discovered her work and it’s really cool to see someone else who is a pattern obsessive and also a compulsive doodler, especially just after having written my doodle post.
Lynn K weekly pattern wednesday
copyright Lynn Krawczyk
                              

Bonjour – et bienvenue à’Weekly Pattern Wednesday’ (ou ‘les Motifs Hebdomadaire des Mercredis’ si vous préférez!)   C’est un nouveau article pour moi, qui est organisé par la doué Lynn Krawczyk bloggeuse et designer de Smudged Textile Studio… Je viens de découvrir son travail est c’est chouette de trouver une autre personne qui s’obsède avec des motifs

So, the idea is that each Wednesday all the participants blog about their latest pattern, which we then link back to Smudged Textiles and share through the wonders of social media, to create a kind of pattern party – the more the merrier!

Alors, le concept c’est que chaque mercredi tous les participants mettent un article sur leurs blogs avec leur dernier motif.  L’article est donc lié avec le blog De Smudged Textiles Studio et partager par tous les moyens possible sur des réseaux sociaux – un sorte de fête des motifs – avec les invités illimités !

So let me tell you about this week’s pattern from Polly…

Donc, je vous raconte l’histoire du motif de Polly de ce mercredi-ci….
 
One of my favourite plants in my garden is the snake’s head fritillary (fritillaria meleagris)  – such a delicately patterned flower which is continuously changing throughout its life. 
 
 
Une de mes plantes préférées dans mon jardin est la fritillaire pintade  (fritillaria meleagris) – les petales ont des motifs tellement délicat, qui changent tout le temps. 
 
 
 
Even better, it then goes on to produce lovely seed heads (which mystifies me as it grows from corms, but I digress) and it is these seed heads which have inspired my pattern. 
 

En plus, après les fleurs sont fanés, il a des magnifiques capsules de graines (ce pour moi reste un mystère vu que c’est une plante qui se reproduise par les bulbes, mais bon, ça c'est une autre histoire…) et c’est donc ces capsules qui m’ont inspirés pour mon design.
 
So here are my sketches - firstly studying the seed heads, then turning these forms into a pattern.


 Voici mes équisses - en haut j'ai dessiné les capsules, puis j'ai pris les formes pour en faire un motif.
 


 
And here is the 'ta da' moment - the finished pattern..... I think there's going to be more where this came from :)



Et voici mon motif terminé... Je crois que c'est le début de quelque chose :)

 
It still needs a bit of tlc, but here is how it would look as a repeated pattern. 
 

Would love to hear your thoughts - please feel free to leave your comments below.  See you for another pattern next week!
 


8 commentaires:

  1. I love your pattern. I think it turned out really great. I look forward to seeing more patterns.

    RépondreSupprimer
    Réponses
    1. Thanks Janelle - yours too - it's fun to see what everyone is up to :)

      Supprimer
  2. Now this is such a cool idea! I really like how you "walked" us through your process!! Great!!! Look forward to more!!!

    RépondreSupprimer
    Réponses
    1. Thanks Robbie - I love learning about how people create as well as what they create, so I thought I'd share my process too. Glad you liked it. :)

      Supprimer
  3. I really love that you drew inspiration from a favorite flower and I've not heard of it before so it was fun to learn about it. I think the pattern looks wonderful - very interesting with lots of movement and I love the secondary pattern of color! Yay! :)

    RépondreSupprimer
    Réponses
    1. Hello Lynn - thanks for your comments and especially thanks for organising this pattern party - it's such fun to share. I love the way the internet can help you discover new stuff and let other people see what you are creating rather than it just sitting in a drawer!!

      Supprimer
  4. Love seeing the steps to developing your pattern!

    RépondreSupprimer
    Réponses
    1. Thank you :) I love photography, drawing and painting, so it's great to be able to combine all three.

      Supprimer